Wednesday, May 12, 2010

58th Day - Civil War Day

The temperature was in the mid 50s when I awoke this A.M. It had stopped raining from the previous day and the weather cooperated enough for my visits to both Antietam and Harpers Ferry. The temperature would peak at 68F for the day. Upon my return from Harpers Ferry the rains came, however.
I spent over five (5) hours at Antietam Battlefields today. There really is an awful lot to see there. It is just unbelievable the number of lives lost in the 12 hours of fighting on that day, September 17, 1862.
I also returned to Harpers Ferry, the scene of one of my favorite towns I like to visit. Getting there was a little different this time as one has to take a shuttle from Harpers Ferry National Park to downtown Harpers Ferry now. This is due to very little parking in the downtown area.
I am off to see The Air and Space Museum near Dulles Airport and hopefully some of the monuments in D.C tomorrow.
Night everyone!
The Traveller

2 comments:

  1. Just want you to know that I really enjoy the little snippets of your journey across the country....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cw has a sacred significance to me, so I am appreciative of these pictures.

    ReplyDelete